Omaha Car Accident Lawyer
Representation from a BBB® Accredited Firm
Motor vehicle accidents occur every day across Nebraska and Iowa. The human costs are devastating when crashes cause serious injury or death. Even the most skilled, cautious drivers are vulnerable to others' driving errors, dangerous road conditions and other challenges. After any serious car, trucking, motorcycle or other roadway accident, your ability to achieve a maximum recovery will likely depend on the legal counsel you choose.
Why Hire Our Legal Team
The legal team at Carlson & Burnett is here to help in every way we can if you or a family member has been hurt in a car accident. Led in this practice area by our team of personal injury attorneys, AV Preeminent-rated Clete Blakeman, Joe Risko, and Andy Wilson we will thoroughly investigate your case and pursue every angle to obtain all available compensation.
Injured in a car accident? Trust our experienced attorneys for seasoned
representation. Call (402) 810-8611 today for more information.
Don’t Wait to File Your Claim
According to the Nebraska Revised Statute 25-207, car accident victims have four years to file a personal injury claim or they will most likely lose their right to file a claim and receive compensation. This is called the statute of limitations. In Nebraska, the statute of limitations varies depending on the type of personal injury claim. For example, if a car accident victims suffer fatal injuries as a result of the crash and their family would like to file a wrongful death suit they would have only two years to file a wrongful death claim instead of four. Nebraska does recognize some exceptions to the statute of limitations, allowing some to the extent the filing time period but only if they meet very specific prerequisites. An attorney from our firm will be able to tell you if you qualify for an extension to the statute of limitations.
Understanding Contributory Negligence
Many persons involved in accidents often wonder, “Can I still recover compensation if I was partially at fault for the accident?” The answer to this question may vary. According to Nebraska negligence laws, if a plaintiff is equally negligent as her or his defendant, he or she may not be able to recover any damages. However, if the plaintiff is considered less negligent than the other driver is or the plaintiff is completely faultless, he or she may be able to recover monetary compensation for the following:
- Medical expenses
- Physical therapy costs
- Physical pain
- Emotional suffering
- Lost wages
Because each accident case is completely different, it is important for accident victims to contact experienced legal advocacy right away.
Who Pays Your Medical Bills While You Recover?
The negligent driver is ultimately responsible for your bills, however, the law does not require the negligent driver or his/her car insurance company to pay bills immediately or even after months and months of waiting following a car accident.
The law allows the negligent driver and their insurance company to pay off the bills at the end of your case. This inconvenient truth requires you to be responsible until your case is settled or tried to a jury. The best solution is to use:
- Health insurance - If you have health insurance, submitting your medical bills to your insurer is the best way to be sure that they will be paid promptly. If you have been in a car accident, the insurer will likely seek reimbursement at the end of the case, but you will be allowed to claim the entirety of your medical bills as damages if you go forward with a personal injury suit.
- Your own Automobile Insurance Medical Payment coverage - Many auto insurance policies come with "Med Pay" coverage up to a certain amount. It is important to realize that these limits are often low, and will usually not cover all of your medical expenses if you've been injured in a car accident, but they can be used to pay your health insurance deductible or other medical bills your health insurance refuses to pay.
- The providers of your medical care may place a lien on your settlement - If you're seeking damages from another party as a result of your auto accident injury, your health care providers may claim a legal right to be paid out of your settlement.
With multiple insurance companies and third parties involved, sorting through these details can become very complicated and exhausting. Working with a Carlson & Burnett, LLP attorney that has the experience and expertise to keep your medical care in place is essential to a full recovery.
Nebraska gives you a number of options to seek relief from medical bills while you are waiting to end your treatment. The best option for you should be determined after careful examination of all the facts of your case.
Handling a Variety of Car Accident Cases in Nebraska
Our decades of successful advocacy for auto accident victims and their families has enabled many people to get quality medical care, put their lives back together and move forward.
Our knowledge and capabilities cover:
- Wrecks involving all types of vehicles and circumstances, including motorcycle accidents, bicycle accidents, pedestrian accidents and truck accidents
- Auto accidents on interstate highways such as I-29, I-80 and I-680, highways such as U.S. 6, U.S. 30, U.S. 77, U.S. 75 and U.S. 34, state highways, county roads, urban streets and roads in residential areas
- All types of collisions and forms of driver negligence, ranging from head-on, rear-end and side-impact accidents caused by drunk or reckless driving to unavoidable crashes in dangerous highway construction zones
We are adamant in our support of traffic safety education and responsible driving practices — but no one can completely control what happens when they travel. In the aftermath, fault may be disputed.
When a car wreck throws your life into turmoil, our firm is here to help you things back on track. Call us today at (402) 810-8611!
Depending solely on insurance companies to treat you fairly is a serious risk. The best step you can take is to consult a conscientious, experienced lawyer who will treat you with care and go the distance to help you recover. Our attorneys are backed by decades of experience and will work to obtain compensation that meets your needs and secures your future.
For a free consultation after any serious car accident, contact our law firm. You will pay no attorney fees unless we pursue your case and earn compensation on your behalf.