How to Prepare for a Personal Injury Case Consultation
After you or a loved one has suffered an injury in an accident caused by a negligent party, it is imperative to move quickly to schedule a case evaluation for your personal injury lawsuit. Many personal injury lawyers offer free consultations – including our Omaha personal injury lawyer at Carlson & Burnett.
Your initial meeting with an attorney is your opportunity to find out more about your available legal options and get a good feel for whether you and your lawyer would work well together. In order for your lawyer to have everything he or she needs to evaluate your case, you must do some preparation for your consultation.
The following is an injury checklist of the pertinent information to know when consulting your case with your attorney:
- Names and contact information of all individuals who were involved in the accident
- Names and addresses of witnesses to the accident
- Name and address of ambulance service
- Name and address of the emergency room
- Dates you were admitted to the emergency room and hospital
- Names and business addresses of all the doctors who have examined you
- Names and addresses of chiropractors and physical therapists you have consulted
- Dates you missed work due to your injury
- Name and phone number of each insurance provider you spoke with
Important documents to bring on your first consultation include:
- Accident report from law enforcement
- Copies of any written statements
- Your car insurance policy
- Medical bills
- All correspondence you have received from any insurance adjuster about the accident or your injury
- Receipts for all things you have had to purchase due to your injury
- Receipts for all things you have had to fix due to the accident
- Medical or disability insurance policy
- Your homeowner’s or renter’ policy
- Other policies, such as medical or veterans insurance
You must obtain the legal services of an attorney who is right for you and has successfully handled cases similar to yours. In addition to having the proper documents to show, you need to also prepare a list of questions to ask your lawyer on your first meeting.
Common questions to ask an accident attorney include:
- How long has he or she been in practice?
- How many personal injury trials has he or she successfully handled?
- How would the attorney go about handling your case?
- What issues does the attorney foresee with your case?
- How long will the case take?
- What types of experts would the lawyer use to prove your case?
- Is there a time limit by which you need to file a lawsuit or settle the case?
At Carlson & Burnett, you will not have to pay any attorney fees unless we win your case and recover your entitled compensation. With more than 35 years of combined legal experience, our Omaha personal injury attorneys understand what it takes to obtain the most favorable outcomes possible for our clients. Do not risk pursuing the compensation and justice you deserve without our experienced and compassionate legal counsel.
Contact us at (402) 810-8611. and request a free initial consultation today.