Andy is an Omaha native joining Carlson and Burnett as a partner with over 25 years of criminal and civil litigation experience. He began his career in Des Moines, Iowa working on a variety of civil litigation matters. In 1993 he moved back to Omaha, taking a position with the Douglas County Public Defender’s office. Andy was a Senior Staff Attorney handing the most serious felony offenses, including drug trafficking, murder, and sexual assault. While he was at the Public Defender’s office, Andy had over 20 jury trials and over 500 bench trials. He had the most Not Guilty verdicts in bench trials over a 5-year span.
In 2000, Andy moved into private practice, using his litigation experience to develop a civil litigation practice focusing on personal injury and insurance defense. In his prior firms, he has served in a variety of roles, including the firm president.
Andy brings to the firm an extensive history working with insurance companies. He knows how claim adjusters think which provides invaluable experience to serving his clients in their personal injury claims.
He has an extensive trial background, including over 40 jury trials, both criminal and personal injury, as lead counsel. In 2013, in one of his criminal trials, a jury returned a Not Guilty verdict in less than 15 minutes. For that case, Andy was awarded the Jury Trial of the Year award from the Federal Public Defender’s office. When a trial is necessary, Andy has tested and extensive trial experience that many others do not have.
- Over 40 jury trials and 600 bench trials as primary counsel
- Auto-Owners Insurance Company V. Home Pride Companies, Inc., 268 Neb. 528, 684 N.W. 571 (2004)
- DeWester V. Watkins, 275 Neb. 173, 745 N.W. 2d 330 (2008)
- Nebraska, Iowa and Omaha Bar Associations
- Nebraska Defense Attorneys Association
- Nebraska Association of Trial Attorneys
- Defense Research Institute
- Nebraska Criminal Defense Attorneys Association
- All Nebraska Courts (1991)
- All Iowa Courts (1991)
- U.S. District Court of Nebraska (1991)
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Iowa (1992)
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Iowa (1992)