When a car accident occurs, most people’s initial reactions are often shock and anger. The overwhelming experience can cause someone to be distracted enough to jeopardize successfully filing an insurance or personal injury claim. That is why it’s imperative not to overlook taking the proper steps to ensure that you will properly compensated for your damages, which includes any injuries sustained as a result of an accident.
The following are the steps you should take immediately after a car accident in New Orleans:
- Stay calm and check for any significant injuries. If any passengers are in your car, make sure that they are also safe.
- Move your car away from danger. Check if your vehicle is safe enough to drive, then you could either pull over to the side of the road or sidewalk in order to avoid any further damage.
- Call law enforcement and your insurance company. No matter if it’s a substantial or minor accident, contact police to obtain a police report for your accident. You are also contractually required to report the accident to your insurer.
- Take photographs. Make sure you document each vehicle, the damage sustained, as well as the road and weather conditions. If you sustained any injuries, make sure you also photograph them.
- Exchange information with the other driver. While you can do this yourself, you could also have a police officer obtain this information for you.
- Keep a file. Maintain a file for all accident-related material in case you must provide information to the other insurance company or if you go to court.
- Contact your attorney. If the other insurance company isn’t cooperating with your demands or you need your medical bills to be paid, a personal injury lawyer is capable of fighting for you while you recover from the accident.
How Carlson & Burnett Can Help
With more than 35 years of experience, our Omaha personal injury attorneys possess the comprehensive understanding of Nebraska law to guide you through the complexities of the legal system. We are committed to investigating your accident, collecting evidence, and negotiating with insurance adjusters for you while you make a successful recovery from injury. Since we consider ourselves “friends of the family,” we will do whatever it takes to help you obtain the most favorable compensation and outcome possible.